What have I learned?
I learned that the same students take longer every time with the same math concepts however, the same students are showing greater understanding and less frustration with one on one assistance. Their thinking is not faster but their understanding is greater which is where progress is being seen.
I've learned that group work is productive but there is no replacement from the teacher spending one on one time with a student directly questioning and answering but also telling the student the steps from the foundation up as sometimes questioning too much perpetuates the circular thinking that the student is struggling to escape. Too many questions can produce further frustration. The student does not need the answers but perhaps an example given step by step foundation up. I find there is a time for exploring thinking and a time for just being logical and methodical. They are not mutually exclusive and both approaches should be used.
I have questions on whether I should introduce another way of solving problems if the lead teacher for the particular lesson is teaching one way. I don't want to confuse students further and introduce another way especially if they are having trouble. Then again, the new way might be clearer to them. My question is when is this appropriate and when is it going to create further frustration. My answer to this is: it is worth the risk but keep the confusion radar turned on.
I learned that the same students take longer every time with the same math concepts however, the same students are showing greater understanding and less frustration with one on one assistance. Their thinking is not faster but their understanding is greater which is where progress is being seen.
I've learned that group work is productive but there is no replacement from the teacher spending one on one time with a student directly questioning and answering but also telling the student the steps from the foundation up as sometimes questioning too much perpetuates the circular thinking that the student is struggling to escape. Too many questions can produce further frustration. The student does not need the answers but perhaps an example given step by step foundation up. I find there is a time for exploring thinking and a time for just being logical and methodical. They are not mutually exclusive and both approaches should be used.
I have questions on whether I should introduce another way of solving problems if the lead teacher for the particular lesson is teaching one way. I don't want to confuse students further and introduce another way especially if they are having trouble. Then again, the new way might be clearer to them. My question is when is this appropriate and when is it going to create further frustration. My answer to this is: it is worth the risk but keep the confusion radar turned on.
No comments:
Post a Comment