Sunday, March 6, 2011

I Touch Update

I realize how excited students get when they get to hold the I-Touch. It is so much more fun for them to look up terms on it as opposed to the traditional dictionary. Additionally, the number of definitions for the word that comes up is more limited which is a good thing since often students go for the first definition ignoring all of the remaining possibilities. This tool is great for all students but especially those who use technology at home (yes, even video games) and are used to this and have become comfortable with it. I still believe in the old ways of doing things but introducing new ways seems to generate an excitement that I don't want to lose in my students. The I Touch also seems to get students focus off of themselves and their own challenges and onto doing an activity which shifts the focus in a better more productive way. It also improves their confidence as many students are more comfortable with these tools than we are and that in itself is a shift of power which is healthy.
I would like to use it more in other subjects like math and would love to hear from someone on what they did with it during math and how well it worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment