Sunday, January 16, 2011

Uses of I-Touch for differentiated instruction

What uses does I-Touch have in the classroom and for what types of students?

The I-Touch could be used with all students. I can think of three where it could be particularly helpful. All students I'm thinking about are gifted in their own way. One struggles with math and reading. Another student with Autism loves computers and technology. The third student is gifted and would benefit from seeing the material learned at hand being presented in different ways to prevent boredom and to spur his thinking. The first student struggles with writing and vocabulary. The I-Touch would be a useful tool to look up words and its various uses and originations. The dictionary book is limiting. For the student with Autism, it would be useful for social stories and referring to for his daily schedule.  He dislikes having an aid as it makes him feel socially awkward however; he needs prompting otherwise he stays in his own world. Because embraces technology, if used correctly, this could be a very neat way to put what to do next (record or write) social stories on as well as his homework assignments. The regular avenue of writing things down in his journal is not working for him without the prompts. The I-Touch would be a fascinating experiment which may have better results and decrease aide time. For the student who needs additional challenge, he could use it to further explore the concepts at hand. Instead of reading the last 15 minutes of math, he could plot graphs, explore circumference or further work concepts and share findings. As for cons with using this tool for students, I cannot really think of any except that it is just one more tool, not to be used as a replacement for another effective tool. I could see the student with Autism having some management issues and distraction uses. His time with the tool would have to be monitored and he would have to use it just for the purposes that would be most helpful. He would inevitably want to explore further and may use it at inappropriate times however, this could be managed and would most likely not outweigh the benefit.

1 comment:

  1. So have you had the chance to hand the Touch to one of the children in your placement to see what they might do with it?

    ReplyDelete