What did I learn?
I learned that manipulatives (beans) this week are helpful in understanding positive and negative integers. I personally am uncomfortable using manipulatives because I did not learn math this way however, the more I use them, the more curious I become. I am sold that they are effective for some concepts and may confuse one further on another concept. Either way, the risk is worth it as long as things are taught in several ways. It depends on the learner and how well the use of the manipulatives are explained which is not always an easy task and must be done thoughtfully. I leared that there are Algebra tiles which I think would be great since Algebra is sometimes thought of as an abstract concept which has no relevance to real life's problems and solutions.
What do I have questions about? I have further questions about the Algebra Tiles. I need/want to explore this idea further. There are still some things I am unclear about. Algebra tiles are something I would want to bring into my instruction. I just need to know how to explain it and at this point, I have further questions before I embark on that journey.
No comments:
Post a Comment