Sunday, October 17, 2010

Literature, week 3

It was really fun last week working with a kindergartner. It is a big step from the fifth and sixth grade classrooms I am acquired to. The child by reading partner and I worked with liked the getting to know each other questions however, did not want to read that particular day. We brought a variety of books but none interested him. I hope to figure this out the next time. It is great how appreciative kids can be. Sometimes we forget to appreciate the time people put in for our benefit. I learned from this child in his numerous comments of thanks, I like you both and I like getting to know you. I don't think we have to be children to say these things. I learned from this student and reminded my mentor teachers both from fall and current how much I appreciated them and what they are doing for me.

As for the reading, the part on incorporating movement with sound really resonated with me. I think students need to move more in classrooms as I believe that recall is greater the more associations one has. Under moving sounds, using whole body approches to bending and stretching until the whole word is pronounced is just one more entry way into understanding words and how the sounds and letters go together to make that word. It also gets children out of their seats which should be taken advantage of at every opportunity! The slide concept which is displayed as a picture only activity in the book should be acted out by bringing kids to the playground slide assisting in the visual cue for blending, saying the world from beginning to end as they move down the slide.

No comments:

Post a Comment