Monday, November 15, 2010

Moving toward data

I really enjoyed last week's class on data. Gapminder.org is a fabulous site for illustrating events in time and how they have played out. There are so many categories to explore such as health in South Africa or Forestry trends in the U.S. I agree that we need to introduce statistics to students. It is never too early and, it is relevant. Much of what we teach students applies to them in some way however, much of it is obscure. As for statistics, there are many explanations as for its relevance. Understanding data, interpreting data, and questioning data sources is a huge skill that will be used going forward. This lesson was inspiring. It is also interesting to hear that statistics is a famously failed course in college. Why? Probably because it is intimidating due to lack of previous exposure. I found Stats to be easier than all other math because I could use it in my life. If I can use something, I generally have an ok time learning it and at least have the propensity to make the concerted effort to learn it!

No comments:

Post a Comment